warning: perfect shoes may imapair judgement

[02 Feb 2006 | Thursday]


i've been wearing this pair of shoes for quite awhile. they are sweetass black suede vans with lilac accent. very very comfortable. i can put them on without untying them. and they go with everything... almost. i have a 'thing' for footwear so its funny that i have gotten so attached to this one pair. thing is... i just love the way i feel when i have them on. sometimes i have to trade them in for a pair of stiletto boots or strappy slides or snowpaks. but when i get those vans back on, i just feel.. right.

so today i am talking with my friend. and my shoes, they are getting so worn in. i might have to start looking for new shoes. i dont want to. what if i never find shoes like this again? what if... she makes me take off my shoes. to contemplate. to look at this issue in a completely unbiased manner. i beg her not to make me. she says "polly, hush. take off the shoes. i want to see you barefoot". so i take off my shoes. damn i have really cute feet. and i just painted my toes with an appropriately named polish - "pretty". i put on my diamond butterfly toe-ring and look at her. "ok" i say. "you got me out of my shoes. talk".

the conversation that happened next really doesnt make a difference. its what happened during the conversation. by taking off the comfortable shoes. the safe shoes. and letting my toes wiggle around and think about what kind of shoes they REALLY want to be in. things just, made sense. barefeet must be a direct line to the brain, cuz dammit - i was thinking. clearly. plus.. my toes, they looked so.. well.. um.. pretty!

we finished our chat. she said i could put my shoes back on. i told her i was afraid they might hurt my feet. she said if they did, i could always take them off.

then she took me for ice cream.


No comments: