everything's coming up roses.

[28 Apr 2006 | Friday]


i am here, at work, captivated by 12 long-stemmed roses; full yellow buds merging to delicate peach petals. vibrant greenery boldly showcasing their luscious beauty as whisps of baby breath, like delicate lace, play among the leaves.

the roses were waiting for me this morning. a gift from my coworkers. a happy (pre)birthday. i am reminded, everyday, how fortunate i am to work with such an amazingly talented and passionate team. supportive and caring of one another; never overstepping, always willing to go above and beyond. we learn from each other every day. and we grow. like roses.

i have both windows open. it is an unusual 27C today. i am wearing my favorite shoes. wooden stiletto slides with crystal studded buckles holding the soft nude leather straps that hug my toes. my toes. happy to be exposed. smiling. perfectly pink. like roses.

the breeze through the window carries the sweet scent of roses through the air. the perfume is not overwhelming; it dances lightly with each whisper of fresh spring air. with every whisper of spring breeze carrying a reminder of a beautiful day.

this evening will bring family. dinner at my favorite greek restaurant. togetherness. we will drink wine. we will celebrate. we will raise our glasses and toast to my mother, who will tell me, as she does every year, "this isn't what i was doing 33 years ago!". and we will laugh. as we do every year. and there will be kisses. and hugs. and ice cream.

i don't know what will happen beyond that point. i don't need to know. i have stopped to smell the roses. subtly seducing my senses, i am reminded that it doesnt matter what the night brings. my day is already full. sunshine, family, friends, love, toes, laughter, kisses, ice cream.

and roses.

No comments: